Our backyard extends beyond the area behind our house, it includes the places we frequent, the places we visit, the places where we live life. This blog is all about the things we find in our backyard and beyond.


Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Starters


We usually start our garden from seed, starting to buy seed packets even before the last frost is pushed away by the warmth of spring. This year however, many of the seeds did not come up for some reason. So earlier this summer, when we just happened to be walking through the garden center at Wal-Mart, without intentions of buying anything, we spotted these Japanese Eggplant seedlings and, of all things, sweet potato plants!!

Well who knew they sold sweet potato plants! Usually I start my sweet potatoes from sweet potato roots saved from the fall harvest, or if I can find it, from stems that I occationally find at the oriental market. I usually make a salad out of the sweet potato greens and the tough stems that don't go in the salad, I stick them in the ground and get more green tops and in the fall, some pretty good sweet potato roots.

No comments: