Our backyard extends beyond the area behind our house, it includes the places we frequent, the places we visit, the places where we live life. This blog is all about the things we find in our backyard and beyond.


Monday, April 02, 2007

American Tobacco Factory


Durham, NC is a town founded on the tobacco industry. However, with the decline of the tobacco industry many of the plants have lain empty and abandoned for years. During the last decade though, a revitalization of the downtown area has been in progress and this American Tobacco project is one of those. These group of buildings formerly home to the Bull Durham Tobacco Factory have been converted to business, entertainment, and living spaces and is now called the American Tobacco Historic District.










4 comments:

Señor Enrique said...

I've heard many good things about living in North Carolina. I know of a couple of NY friends who plan on retiring over there.

Are those living spaces you mentioned similar to commercial buildings in NYC which were converted into incredibly spacious living lofts?

JMom said...

hi senor enrique, exactly they are just like NY style lofts with huge open spaces. They have the old fashioned wood planks for flooring along with huge wood beams on the ceiling. If you stand still, you can still catch a whiff of tobacco embedded in the wood. I wish I wasn't so darn attached to my yard, I'd want one of those lofts :)

Señor Enrique said...

If I ever want to join my friends in North Carolina, I would want to get one of those lofts. I've always dreamed of living in one.

Omom said...

Wow! That's how long I've been to Durham, last I was there those buildings were still empty. Nice.